Friday, March 18, 2011

Our New Life Has Begun

As you can see, it has been quite a while since I last wrote.  After the first of the year, I resumed my life as busy working mom but this time with two kids in tow.  There was no rest for the weary as I adjusted to working 10 hour days, up to 1 1/2 hours of commuting, and still trying to squeeze in time with my two boys and husband before cooking dinner, cleaning up the house, and collapsing into bed.

I've noticed that every time I think I am starting to gain some sort of control in my life, God throws a wrench into the works.  Gone are the monthly updates to my blog heading (note I still have Christmas pictures posted), the time usually devoted to mindless crafting, and the times of lining up all of Brady's toys perfectly each night.

On Valentine's Day, we received some particularly devastating news.  We see this as the beginning of our new life, our new normal.  My father-in-law, Gary, had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.  Now for those of you who don't know, this type of cancer does not have a very good prognosis.  We never expected to be faced with losing a parent at such a young age.  We raced down to Florida the next day to take family pictures, go to Disney World, and spend time together..."just in case."

Over the last month we have been crying together, getting angry together, and rejoicing in the memories we've made over the last few years.  There have been practical discussions about final arrangements, hospital visits, and the reminder that even though we are in our twenties we need to buy life insurance.

There have also been problems in our church.  I will not go into details, but will comment that it's always hard to be a church staff member during times of transition.  The stress related to Garrett's job has been frustrating, but we feel loved and supported by parents, students, and session members alike.

Needless to say, we need your prayers.  Garrett and I know that we will make it through this time and the stress will pass.  It's just hard when you're in the moment.  Sorry to be so depressing, but I think it's important rejoice together in good times and mourn together in times of sorrow.  Thank you for your love!

1 comment:

  1. we should chat soon. I'm sorry all of this is happening.... :( You are all in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete