Monday, December 27, 2010

A Season of Joy and Mourning

We had an absolutely amazing Christmas this year.  At first, I was very sad at the prospect of not being with any of our family this year as in year's past.  Benjamin is not able to travel right now, so we decided to stay home and make the most of Christmas as a family of four. 

I must admit that I truly enjoyed the experience.  On Christmas Eve, we took the boys to visit Santa Claus and received a perfect picture.  Then, we brought Brady to have a haircut followed by a reward of a pizza lunch.  Nap time was followed up by church and a visit to the Fielding's for snacks.  We returned home for dinner and made sure to set out cookies, milk, and carrots for Santa and the reindeer.

Brady was on cloud nine when we all opened one gift - pajamas for everyone!  He also received a special pair of Elmo slippers.  After cozying him up in his flannel sheets, Garrett and I commented on how we felt that we were providing a wonderful experience for our family.  Santa arrived a few hours later.  The house was clean, the gifts were displayed, and we turned in for a good night's rest.

On Christmas morning, Brady was so excited to see whether or not the cookies were gone...even before he noticed the tree!  We made sure that Baby Jesus appeared on the nativity scene and hung the last ornament on the Jesse tree before sharing gifts.  To top off the morning, snow began to fall around 10:30 am.  The rest of the day was spent eating French toast, watching Christmas movies, and enjoying dinner together.  Our family seemed close by as we chatted with each other over the Internet using Skype.

All of this joy has left me with a feeling of mourning today.  I do not want this wonderful season of my life to end.  I am already counting down the days to next Christmas, and I hope that it will be just as magical.  Next week, I will have to return to work and will miss this time I have had with my two boys.  I know there will be good things to come in our future, and I am so thankful for this time we have had together.

No comments:

Post a Comment